Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Closet Essentials

I know that in some places it seems like it is too soon to think of Fall wardrobe essentials, but in San Francisco the weather is being so bi-polar it's not a bad idea to be prepared. While I long for and crave warm sunny days on a consistent level so I can wear all of my sun dresses and skirts out without tights, sweaters and jackets, the idea of Fall layering is also something that has been on my mind as of late. It must have to do with all the catalogs, window displays, and lust worthy fall items I've been seeing lately.
In my current state of Fall craze, I noticed that while my closet is well stocked in clothes to keep me warm (let's face it my closet is well stocked, period, and I shouldn't buy anymore), I do see a few items that I do think would be essential for this upcoming season. They are classics that I have been missing for quite a while due to my impulsive shopping nature, and lack of funds to support it. So I vowed to set aside money and save to buy one item from each category that will take me from season to season, and year to year.

1) A leather jacket: I have a suede jacket which I love, but I haven't had a good leather jacket in years, and I've been missing the ease of just throwing one on and looking put together and edgy at the same time. I'd prefer and black or rich chocolate brown color with just enough edge that keeps the jacket modern, but timeless at the same time.


2) A classic camel toned wool coat: I have a few warm coats but they are all patterned and can't be thrown over just any outfit. I used to have a black wool coat, but I want to steer away from black as a neutral and go to camel instead.

3) Cape: As I have mentioned in a previous post, I have been looking for a cape for a long time. I love them. They are different than just a coat, and bring a certain vintage feel to any outfit. The problem is I haven't found one that fits my frame- they are either too overwhelming, or just not big enough.
This one is great because it combines capes with camel. I can knock two birds down with one...coat...

4) An oxford-esque heel: Ok so this maybe isn't an essential as much as it is a craving, BUT how perfect are these for a complete fall look??? I prefer burgundy, it's just different and richer than black or brown. Maybe I'm just going for a classy, sexy librarian look with these, but for some reason when I think fall clothes I think of a trendy librarian leaving a old brick library. Can't pinpoint why, but it makes sense, right?

Another item on this list was a trench coat, but I already picked the perfect one up. I'll post pictures of it as soon as I wear it out!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I SO agree with these essentials, although I have to admit I don't have some of them! I'd love a gorgeous leather jacket and cape though!

    ReplyDelete